Even though, you may think that a basement bedroom may not be the best idea, you can make an extra spectacular bedroom or even a bedroom suite in your home. Yes, the unfinished basement that is in your home is wet, cold and dull but with the right tools as well as the right professionals you can turn it into an amazing home addition – a marvelous bedroom. A beautiful basement bedroom or suite will not be the only advantage to your basement finishing as there are many others that you will enjoy.
Advantages of a Basement Bedroom
- Builds Equity – Any addition to your home will increase its value, but converting your basement into useable space will also add value to your home. Such a conversion could give you up to a 90 percent return on your money in the event you sell the place.
- Extra Space - When you are adding a basement bedroom suite, the value can even be apparent to surpass financial value. Many people may think of the peace they may get when they have a guest suite or mother-in-law suite that is separated from the rest of the house. If you have a walk-out basement then you could even think of renting it.
- Home Rent - If you are a single homeowner and you have a finished basement, you could move into the basement and rent out the rest of your home. This could be very beneficial as you may be able to rent your home for around the same amount as your mortgage. This means you would save plenty of money for new clothes, a vacation or savings.
Converting your basement will not only add a wonderful addition to your home but will also help improve your home equity. Request a FREE CONSULTATION to speak with a home improvement specialist today!
Considerations for a Basement Bedroom
- Insulation – Insulation is very important no matter what type of basement conversion you are doing. When you are building a bedroom, you will need to insulate walls, as well as the ceiling and the floors. Fiberglass insulation can be used to block out sounds from upstairs. It may not be necessary for you to fully insulate the floor but if you opt not to then you should lay out carpeting to ensure that the room is comfy. You can also use foam or rubber pads.
- Small Spaces – If your basement is not very large, you can still create a comfortable suite. Simply offer convenient storage in the form of built-in headboards, floating shelves as well as other ideas. You can also include mirrors in the headboard or above to create an illusion of a larger, brighter space.
- Color – The basement is typically cold. Use warm colors to help the room feel more comfortable. Shades of yellow are a great option for walls. Choose accent furniture in contrasting colors to liven up the room.
- Furnishings – The awe of the basement bedroom will not totally come into play until you have fully furnished it. You want the bedroom here to be very inviting and not to seem as an afterthought. Do not just use any furniture that you have lying around the house; instead get furniture, shelving and other décor items that pull together your basement bedroom.