Stay ahead of cold weather and start winterizing your home now! These simple tips can save you a huge headache and possibly a lot of money on repairs this winter!
- Turn off outdoor water lines, hoses, and faucets. Any water left inside could freeze and ruin your pipes.
- Make sure that your doors and windows are properly insulated. If you feel drafts seeping through, you can invest in a draft guard for your door. This helps heat from escaping and cold from infiltrating. If you notice gaps in your windows, the easiest fix is to use caulk to seal the gaps.
- Clean out your gutters or invest in gutter coverings. Removing all the leaves before ice and snow arrive can prevent roof damage and further buildup.
- Have materials ready for winter weather. You should stock up on items like rock salt or cat litter for your driveway, and also items you may need in case there is a loss of power.
- Trim back trees so that any ice will not weigh down the branches. Ice-covered branches have the potential to damage your home, car, or even yourself.
- Check out your roof to make sure it is ready to withstand winter weather. You should call a professional to fix any damage or leaks.
- Make sure your sprinkler system is winterized. Watch this video to see how it’s done in a few simple steps!