A bathroom renovation is one of the most popular home remodeling projects for homeowners every year, and for good reason. Bathrooms are one of the biggest selling points of a home, and even minor improvements can yield high returns when it’s time to list your home for sale.
Furthermore, bathroom remodeling gives homeowners a chance to update the aesthetics, showcase personal style, and ultimately to have the dream shower they’ve always wanted.
However, despite the many benefits of bathroom remodeling and the popularity of this household project, it can also be an intimidating project for many homeowners. The reason for this is simple: a lot of things can go wrong in a renovation. It’s true that mistakes can happen, but when these mistakes are costly, a decision to remodel a bathroom can turn into a high-stress problem.
At Mad City Windows and Baths, we’re Wisconsin’s number one choice for high-quality home remodeling. We’ve been helping homeowners enhance their homes with beautiful bathroom renovations since 1998 and have seen first-hand what happens when bad contractors and DIY projects go wrong. The key to a successful result lies in the experience and professionalism of your contractor, and in avoiding these most common mistakes homeowners make when starting a bathroom renovation.
Six Mistakes to Avoid
It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a bathroom renovation project. Unfortunately, the impulse to rush through a renovation without properly planning it first is where most mistakes occur. If you want to feel confident that your next project is a guaranteed success, then make sure to avoid these pitfalls.
- Messing with the Plumbing: It can be tempting to move the bathroom fixtures. Maybe you always felt like the sink would be better on the other side of the room. However, plumbing work is best left to the professionals. New plumbing is costly and is an absolute requirement when you reposition a toilet, shower, or sink in another spot. Instead, have an experienced contractor plan and execute a layout reconfiguration for the best outcome.
- Lack of Vision: If you have great ideas for your bathroom redesign, go ahead and share them with an experienced interior designer. Your bathroom remodeling team will want to create a space that truly reflects your vision, so be sure to communicate clearly. Don’t leave the vision up to the designer completely—this can result in a bathroom style that you’re not happy with.
- No Contracts: Don’t neglect to get a fixed-price contract in place before work begins. You need to know exactly what is being charged, at what rate, and detailed materials and labor cost sheets. While you’re at it, make sure that the contractor is experienced, licensed, and comes with excellent references before agreeing to anything.
Without Function: There are some truly beautiful bathrooms out there. With the right planning and execution, yours can be one of them. However, it’s critical that the bathroom remains functional. Unlike the living room or bedroom,
the bathroom actually works for you. It’s where you bathe, wash your hands, use the facilities, and more. To that end, make sure your design is stylish but that it also allows for safety, accessibility, and comfort,
- Compromising on Labor: We get it. Labor is an expensive cost. It’s also a worthwhile cost when done right. Don’t make the mistake of hiring strictly by the lowest price. You could be a victim to poor quality, unlicensed contractors, expensive repairs and replacements, and more. When it comes to labor, you truly get what you pay for. Make sure you choose a contractor that offers fair labor pricing while maintaining a good reputation and expertise.
- Lack of Funds: Without a solid remodeling contract in place with a reputable, experienced contractor, you simply won’t know what to expect as far as cost. DIY projects and remodeling work done by less experienced or unlicensed contractors tend to cost more than expected. This is mostly due to poor planning, lack of expertise, rising materials costs, and problems that come up during the renovation. Many renovations fail because the customer runs out of money before the project is finished. Before you start the project, be sure to set up reserve funds for those unforeseen expenditures—or skip doubt entirely and get a fixed-price contract from a reputable remodeling company.
Ranked as Wisconsin’s number one remodeling team, Mad City Windows & Baths are proud to offer a wide range of bathroom remodeling services to our customers. From walk-in tubs to bath conversions, full bath renovations, and more, we specialize in beautiful bathroom transformations and one-day remodeling services for homeowners in Madison and beyond.
Ready to explore your bathroom renovation options? Then give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional remodeling services or fill out our online form to schedule your free, in-home pricing estimate and design consultation.